Smutlancers and Mental Health
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 39:45 — 27.5MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | TuneIn | Deezer | RSS
In this week’s episode, let’s start talking about a big and important topic — mental health, smutlancing, and trying to make the two work together. I’m not an expert, and I don’t know what you should do, but I feel like I’ve learned a few truths about my own mental health. And how to still go after my goals. Mostly, I want anyone listening to know they’re not alone and their mental health isn’t something to be ashamed of.
Since this is such a big topic, no one should think this is the only conversation we’ll have about mental health and the smutlancing life. But it’s a start.
In this episode:
- This week’s episode is brought to you by QuickBooks Self Employed
- None of this should be taken as professional or medical advice about your mental health. Please see a doctor or therapist if you need to.
- I can’t tell anyone what to do about their own mental health as a smutlancer or creator — I can only tell you what I know about myself.
- Since 2016, when I faced my own mental health problems, I learned several truths:
- Once your mental health begins to impact your daily life — personally and professionally, ignoring it doesn’t help.
- High functioning mental illnesses are still things that have to be dealt with.
- Taking care of my mental health is as important, if not more so, than taking care of my physical health.
- Mental health has to be navigated all the time. Pretending it doesn’t matter never ends well.
- Being patient with myself is the best thing I’ve ever done.
- Creating, working, and mental illness can function together, but we suffering for our “art” only hurts us.
- Modifying what you do for your mental health isn’t a weakness. It’s a smart business move.
- My health — physical and mental — forced me to learn patience.
- Whatever works for you — medication, therapy, etc — is valid. There’s no single right way to help yourself.
Links from the show:
National Coalition for Sexual Freedom — Kink Aware Professionals
QuickBooks Self Employed (affiliate link — get 50 percent off the price for a year)
Follow me on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook
Subscribe to the show:
Have you learned something new, been inspired, or moved forward with your goals after visiting The Smutlancer?